Re: HTTP connection to unix socket

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:55:25 -0700

> In order to add this enhancement to libcurl, we need to determine how to
> encode the path to the unix socket in an HTTP URL. Or, if this doesn't
> seem feasible, we need some other way to tell libcurl the path to the
> unix socket. I have been unable to find a standard or convention for
> encoding a unix socket path in an HTTP URL.

A straightforward approach would be to URL encode the socket name and use
that as the host name, e.g. http://%2Ftmp%2Fserver/resource would use the
UNIX socket /tmp/server. This should be unambiguous as / is illegal in a host
name. It looks ugly though, and would force a %2F to be added to all socket
names even when it wouldn't otherwise be needed, e.g.
http://.%2Fserver/resource I haven't check to see if this would play
well with IDN and whether adding a .%2F is allowed on all platforms.

>>> Dan