Re: libcurl with pthreads-win Was: what is the best way to preform http post request every N seconds endlessly

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 02:30:53 +0200

2008/4/4, Meir Yanovich wrote:

> can you please explain me what is c-ares

c-ares is a C library that performs DNS requests and name resolves
asynchronously. http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/

Read this http://cool.haxx.se/cvs.cgi/curl/lib/README.ares?rev=1.12&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

And read this http://cool.haxx.se/cvs.cgi/curl/lib/README.hostip?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

> and how you got to this conclusion?

:-)

More or less you can also get at it in the following way...

Your stack trace shows a call to gethostbyname_thread()

Search and find libcurl source code where it is called and where it is
implemented. Read that code. You'll see that _beginthreadex() is being
used.

So now it is time you ask yourself...

Can pthreads-win library manage threads that call _beginthreadex(),
and most probably other Windows native thread niceties, on itself
without taking in account that the pthreads-win library is being used
?

I don't have an answer for that question, neither positive nor
negative. But I know that if libcurl is built with the c-ares
asynchronous name resolver this issue would vanish, and you could
verify if your problem persists or not in a more simple scenario and
probably advance in its resolution or provide some ground for further
debugging.

Trying libcurl with c-ares will provide more hard facts.

--
-=[Yang]=-