Re: About receiving data

From: Prasad J Pandit <prasad.pandit_at_comat.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:37:40 +0530 (IST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>>> You seem to have missed the tutorial:
>> Ummn..no I didn't. And to be honest, it is not very well written,
> Then I'm looking forward to see your improvements.

   Well I don't promise, but will try to do something.

> Yes it actually assumes that you have done some amount of programming before,
> it's not an entry-level document. The pointer you set with CURLOPT_WRITEDATA
> is passed verbatim to the write callback. You can pass a pointer to anything
> you like.

   I figured that.

> Can you please elaborate on how that example isn't sane?

   Well, I meant it for the whole libcurl library, because my experience
with it so far has not been very pleasant.

I wanted to use it with my MSVC application, and to start with, there is
no download link on the `libcurl' section of the.

site: http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/

One has to read that stupid message and figure out where to go and what to
do? Why cann't you have a link to the libcurl*.[gz|zip] or binary files
right in front of my eyes, when the page loads. Please don't make me read
and scroll and wander around your site. Second, no windows installer for
the library. I did download and install one of the binary distribution of
library, I think it was curlcpp or the one that is available

at: http://curl.haxx.se/download.html

All I got was only the library and no headers. So I downloaded the source
package and compiled the library & installed it but it wouldn't link with
my application, it said some __imp_curl_easy... symbols were undefined.

Then I again download the curl source, compiled the library from `lib'
directory, after defining HTTP_ONLY, and things...I think it's was all too
much for a library installaion. I mean come-on, it's just the damn
library.

What I'd suggest is, if you can, please

  + Maintain seperate sources for libcurl & curl, like `tcpdump' project.

  + Have download links to the latest packages/mirrors right in front
    of your project home page.

  + Provide windows installer. on Linux/Unix you have the configure & make,
    but setting those HTTP_ONLY and such macros in MSVC is really pain.
    Especially if you are not a Windows guy. Like I'm not very conversant
    with these things of Windows.

  + Reduce that stupid site to some couple of pages like `tcpdump.org'.
    You know, IMO no project needs more that two pages for a website.

Hope I'm clear enough...thank you!

--
Regards
   - Prasad