Java binding - current status

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 03:40:36 +0100

Hi all,
since Daniel did put up the 0.2.1 version on the cURL site,
Patrick and I did hack some more around the Java libcurl binding;
and since Daniel doesnt like Java that much I did quickly create
our own repository instead of pester him further:
https://svwe20.itex.at/repos/curl-java/
there's also a nice repository view available:
http://svwe20.itex.at/viewcvs
with that you can at any time download a tarball from current sources
(see the link at the bottom of the repository listing page).
A simple shell script which can fetch the current sources either with curl
as tarball, or with svn commandline directly from SVN can be found here:
http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/curl_java/mk-curl-java.sh

We made a lot of changes, and the current version should now compile fine
with either the provided makefiles, or also with configure.
I've hacked a MakeCurlGlue class which does alternately the job of creating
CurlGlue.java, and that might be useful for Win32 users where a Java developer
doesnt always have Perl handy, but the Perl script is still there and might be
the preferred choice for any further development on CurlGlue.java since Java
has unfortunately no multiline feature, and therefore you cant just copy&paste
new Java code into the Java class as you can do with the Perl script; also I've
renamed it to MakeCurlGlue.pl since it does now create the whole CurlGlue.java,
and not only the define list as the old script before.
The makefiles are prepared for a switch between the Java class and the Perl script,
and the switch can be done with changing two defines only which are already
present in the makefiles but commented out.

If someone is willing to work further on the Java stuff then feel free to contact
me directly, and I might give you SVN access to the repository.

Guenter.