RE: gsoc2008!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:44:00 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Gabriel Kälin wrote:

> I'd like to add a project idea:
>
> - ICAP
>
> The protocol is syntactically quite similar to HTTP, but uses a special
> encoding/encapsulation of the request body, which consists of HTTP requests
> and responses. There are several levels of how much there could be covered
> by the project.

Oh. Just out of curiousity, what kind of use-cases do you have/see for this
protocol?

> I'm also willing to act as a mentor. While I'm not yet too familiar with the
> libcurl code

Great!

We will need a bunch of willing mentors to be able to get a few projects
handed to us.

I just answered the question "what's required from a mentor" in the curl-users
list so I'll take the opportunity of just pasting it here too:

You should be familiar with (lib)curl, development model, funtionality and at
least basic understanding of the source code. And of course have that google
account (I stress this fact since some people are against registering at
Google and you really can't be part of this if you feel that way). You should
also be prepared to spend time on a weekly basis to actually mentor "your"
student, to help him/her reach the goals of the project.

Mentors sign up and volunteer as mentors first, and then when students apply
for doign specific projects we get to assign mentor on a student per student
basis so that we can make the best possible match, depending on what the
mentors can and want and what the students plan to do.