Re: rfc: curl_easy_setopt() typechecker

From: Michal Marek <mmarek_at_suse.cz>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:08:52 +0100

Mohun Biswas napsal(a):
> A concern: it's quite common for open-source SW to come to depend
> implicitly on GCC, because the developers work only on Linux or
> something similar. They come to rely on GCC bugs or extensions, and when
> someone trying to build with say the Sun or Intel or HP or MS compilers
> complains, the answer is, well, "use GCC". I'd prefer not to see libcurl
> fall into this trap.

I understand your concern, but I can assure you that this is not a "gcc
trap". It's an add-on only available for gcc builds, yes, but it doesn't
affect other platforms. And it doesn't add any run-time feature to
libcurl that would put other platforms to a "second class". Just if you
build with gcc, you will get extra warnings should there be problems
with your code.

The lesson learned is that the more platforms you port your program to,
the more bugs you can find.

> Even assuming the above is true, I still fear this will be another
> creeping step towards GCC captivity. Is there no way this can be done
> with C99 preprocessor extensions?

I doubt it.

Michal