some more ca-bundle.crt thoughts and questions....

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 03:45:22 +0100

Hi,
when I look at the generated ca-bundle.crt I'm asking me for what all the textual info might be good for...
so I tested a bit more, and removed them completely, and found that cURL is still happy with it!
A ca-bundle.crt which only contains the CA issuer names and the certs itself is only 183kb in size while the one with text information is 542kb; so I would guess that a CA lookup in the 183kb bundle is a good part faster than in the 3 times bigger bundle, or is this a wrong guess?

For the convert script this would mean that the (currently) 114 times writing a temp file + calling openssl commandline would become obsolete - which makes this also a good part faster...

just some thoughts.

greets, Guen.