Progress function not called during connect

From: Patrick <mccpat_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:00:00 -0500

libcurl-7.17.1 doesn't seem to be calling my progress function
callback while it's trying to connect.

I set it up to connect to tor through HTTP-type proxy; when HTTP
tunneling is enabled, the connect never succeeds, I never get an error
message, and my progress function is never called. It just hangs.

When I disable HTTP tunneling, the callback doesn't seem to get called
until a connection is made (as there's a delay from my printf() before
curl_easy_perform() and then the printf() in my progress function).

It seems to work fine otherwise; my progress function is always called.

What do I need to do to change this behaviour, or is it a bug/intended
feature? I rely on the progress function to kill libcurl's connection
if need be (I was told this was the best way), but if a connection is
never made, I can't kill it this way anymore.

I have libcurl compiled statically, and I compiled libcurl with
"-DCURL_STATICLIB -DBUILDING_LIBCURL -DCURL_DISABLE_LDAPS
-DCURL_DISABLE_COOKIES -DCURL_DISABLE_ARES -DCURL_DISABLE_CRYPTO_AUTH
-DCURL_DISABLE_TFTP -DCURL_DISABLE_TELNET -DCURL_DISABLE_DICT
-DCURL_DISABLE_LDAP -DCURL_DISABLE_FILE"