libcurl - Using SFTP over Curl

From: Thomas John <John.Thomas_at_comverse.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:55:34 -0500

I have built and installed curl.7.17.1 on my Red Hat machine. I am now
trying to figure out how to do SFTP over libcurl. This is a multiple
layer issue, so I would like to start with two very basic questions:

Is libcurl ultimately using my native, Red Hat Linux, SFTP client, or is
the SFTP client implemented in Curl or some other, subordinate, library?

If libcurl is not using my native, Red Hat Linux, SFTP client, how do I
determine the SFTP functionality that is available?

Before I try to figure out how to map to the SFTP functionality through
libcurl, it occurs to me that it would be good to know just what
underlying SFTP functionality I can access.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

John