RE: HTTPS request with curl library gives "out of memory" error

From: Ambarish Mitra <ambarish_mitra_at_persistent.co.in>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:42:25 +0530

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Ambarish Mitra wrote:

> I am on curl 7.12.1, and SSL support is enabled. Also, openssl version is:
> OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003.

Both these versions are very old and contain numerous bugs and security
flaws.
You should start by trying more recent versions of both libcurl and openssl.

--Daniel, Thanks for your response. I have now upgraded the versions of
both. I am now on curl 7.16.0 and OpenSSL 0.9.8g 19 Oct 2007

[ambarish_at_ps0887 authzplugin]$ curl --version
curl 7.16.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.16.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.2.1.2
libidn/0.5.6
Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
Features: IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

However, the problem still persists. The behaviour is exactly the same. In
SSL mode, the curl_easy_perform gives "out of memory" error, whereas in
non-SSL mode, it is working fine.

However, the good part is: in the trace mode, this version of curl gives a
helpful message, which was not coming in the older version. In the verbose
mode, the following is printed:

== Info: SSL: couldn't create a context!

I think this is the root cause, but no idea why a SSL context could not be
created. Any help/pointers would be helpful.

Thanks, Ambarish.

DISCLAIMER