Re: [ANN] libproxy 0.2

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 04:09:14 +0100

2007/12/21, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

> Here is what I propose:
> 1. Make libcurl/curl work with libproxy, but disabled at compile-time
> by default.
> 2. Test the snot out of it.
> 3. Make sure libproxy has cross-platform parity with libcurl.
> 4. Enable libproxy by default at compile-time ONLY if there are no
> regressions (still can be disabled at compile time).
> 5. After it is just accepted and widely used, we can re-evaluate
> pulling old/dead proxy handling code (if no one uses it).

Absolutely NO !

Since others are already giving technical reasons why this plan
shouldn't be followed I'll provide another point of view. Just in case
my point isn't clear enough I'll try to elaborate it a little bit but
I won't waste much of my time on this.

Read YOUR license. and libcurl's.

libproxy carries GPL poison-pills so it should _never_ be made default
in libcurl at compile-time.

Even further, all code used to integrate it into libcurl should
_allways_ be properly #ifdef'd out by default.

This implies that libcurl's default proxy handling code should be the
one under libcurl's license, and not the GPL no matter which prefix,
postfix or version.

--
-=[Yang]=-