Re: bagder: curl/lib config-win32.h,1.55,1.56

From: Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_loskot.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 02:04:26 +0100

Yang Tse wrote:
> MSVC (aka VS whatever) and PSDK now WSDK has always depended on the
> value of symbol _WIN32_WINNT to indicate which Windows target an
> executable library or whatever was being built for.

Yes.

> MS has never guaranteed run time backward compatibility for an
> executable. If you build something for W2K using specific features
> introduced for W2K, your exe is locked to W2K and later, don't expect
> it to run on W98.

But this is not a problem.
I build on Windows XP and I expect WSDK to target Windows XP by default
here. I don't want to target older versions than XP.
I've also explained it in my reply to the thread "Using new Visual C++
2008 and Windows SDK".

> So If someone builds libcurl for the latest Windows version, I don't
> know why they get surprised it it doesn't run on a previous Windows
> version. This is the normal behaviour.

This is not the case here (explained above).

> Defining _WIN32_WINNT is not a libcurl issue. We cannot know
> beforehand which Windows target the MSVC user desires to build
> curl/libcurl for.
>
> Specifying _WIN32_WINNT is not downgrading the library, it is just the
> way MSVC uses to indicate the Windows version build target.

Right, but WSDK seems to target Vista by default regardless of what
Windows version is used as host system on which build is prepared.
Certainly, I'm still talking about older versions of Windows
that are *supported* by WSDK (XP, Windows Server 2003).

I believe we've clarified this issue in this and previous thread.
As I confirmed, current CVS builds with success on Windows XP using
Visual C++ 2008 + Windows SDK, targeting 0x0502.

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net