Re: automatically appending ; type=<a|i> when using http proxies for ftp urls?

From: Michal Marek <mmarek_at_suse.cz>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:59:58 +0100

On Friday 16 November 2007 16:41:34 Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Michal Marek wrote:
> >> What could be considered is rather to drop the appending completely
> >> since users will only very rarely know that the proxy they're gonna use
> >> supports this...
> >
> > Hmm, ok. Seems that case we (suse) will have to come up with better means
> > of checksumming transfered ASCII files then. I'll try to avoid patching
> > our curl package if you decide to drop the patch.
>
> But how can you use it then? Since you can't know that the proxy will like
> the appending, are your appliction going to try first with and then without
> it in case of failures?
>
> If there are true and fine use-cases for this feature I'm fine with
> offering it.

[sorry for a late reply; I was on vacation]

Yes, "trial-and-error" is one option (if you only need to download files),
other option is to state that our application only works with ftp proxies
that support the typecode appending (we need the original file, with no
newlines mangled, so supporting a least some ftp_proxies is better than
nothing in our case).

The point in letting libcurl to (optionally) do the appending is that it knows
best when an ftp proxy is used. Doing the appending in the application would
be a more complicated (eg. one would have to handle http redirects manually).

Michal