Re: automatically appending ;type=<a|i> when using http proxies for ftp urls?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 11:00:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Michal Marek wrote:

> when retrieving ftp://... urls directly, curl defaults to TYPE I, unless the
> url ends with ;type=a or CURLOPT_TRANSFERTEXT is set. However, when a http
> proxy is used, curl just passes the url to the proxy, without trying to
> enforce a transfer mode, leaving it up to the proxy / ftp server to decide.
>
> I've a (half-working :)) patch to automatically apped ;type=<a|i> in such
> cases if not already present, to make it consistent with the non-proxy case.
> Do you think curl should behave that way and I should finish the patch, or
> does the user need to take this difference into acount?

Dang. Today this bounced back in my face. Using some particular proxy and
doing an FTP upload over a HTTP proxy, the target file name now always ends
with ";type=i" and I can promise you that the customer was puzzled by this!
;-)

So, we need to make this appending thing optional. Possibly we should make the
default behavior not use it, for conservative reasons.