Re: LDAP and cURL related

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:11:04 +0200

Hi Yang,
>> > Besides the suffixes for the LDAP libraries, which other names do ldap
>> > libraries have besides 'lber' and 'ldap' ?
>> for Win32 / Linux it is currently technically possible to build with
>> NovellLDAP, OpenLDAP, and Netscape / Mozilla / Sun, the later however is
>> not yet implemented from ldap.c code.
well, OpenLDAP is already supported;
Novell CLDAP can be downloaded here (you only need to register an account for D/L, its free):
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/LDAP_Libraries_for_C
for Novell CLDAP libraries on Win32 its already in the MingW32 makefiles:
-lldapsdk -lldapssl -lldapx
same should do on Linux too.

> Do you happen to know the names of the binary libraries which are
> produced by those LDAP SDKs, the names which must be used to link with
> them ?
see above -- for Netscape / Mozilla / iPlanet / Sun / Solaris on Linux I dont know;
the Mozilla SDK for Win32 varies depending on the version; for v 5.0 it would be:
-lnsldap32v50 -lnslber32v50 -lnsldapssl32v50 -lnsldappr32v50
for v 6.0:
-lnsldap32v60 -lnslber32v60 -lnsldapssl32v60 -lnsldappr32v60

> And the name of the header files needed to be included ?
there's an additional header ldap_ssl.h needed for Novell CLDAP, and I've already added a check for it to configure.

> And the directory structure used for each LDAP SDK once installed but
> not in the default location ?
I really dont know how it looks on Linux; had no time yet to install any other SDK there...

> Just trying to gather some facts to see if it is possible to get rid
> of --disable-ldap / --enable-ldap / --with-ldap-lib / --with-lber-lib
> and just use --without-ldap / --with-ldap=PATH Further on, if
> --with-lber=PATH is also actually needed it could be introduced.
I believe that if its needed / present then its always found in same path as libldap.

Though keep in mind that current ldap.c code doesnt support yet the Netscape / Mozilla / iPlanet / Sun / Solaris SDK - at least not regarding LDAPS.

HTH, Guen.