Re: occasional hostname resolve problems

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 14:05:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, sean wrote:

> Occasionally the curl lib. call fails and returns error code 6
> (CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_HOST). I am not sure why it's sometimes failing,
> since as soon as it does fail the system automatically runs ifconfig and
> pings some known good addresses by hostnames and IP addresses. Those calls
> all succeed, so it looks like there is nothing wrong with the network when
> the curl call is failing.

Well, since it is a resolve that fails I would say there's something in the
DNS department (not necessarily in the general network) that is shaky.

> The embedded system runs uCLinux 2.4.31 and libcurl 7.14.0.

That libcurl version is well over two years old and we've done numerous bug
fixes (even security related) since. Possibly you're looking at a problem that
is already fixed.