RE: feature-freeze starting today

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:38:40 +0200

>> No: I do not have perl and I do not know this language enough to
>> translate the scripts in some other language. The client test
programs
>> are useful to me to perform manual tests. Is there a way to use a
test
>> server on another machine ? Do you have any "hidden" hints to
automate
>> tests on OS/400 ?

> There's too much code there to bother translating it away from perl.
If you can get a perl interpreter for your machine you're likely to be
able to get it going as-is.

> As far as using a test server on a different machine, it hasn't been
done to my knowledge, but it's an intriguing idea. If you change the
$HOSTIP line in runtests.pl to the IP address of your test server and
change the calls to run "curl" to run "ssh os400 curl", you're 90% of
the way there.
> The other 10% consists of adding an scp/sftp call after the ssh to
copy all the files generated on the OS/400 machine over to your test
server, performing whatever EBCDIC conversion is necessary, and setting
up the test directories on the OS/400 machine before each test. Tests
with <precheck> and <postcheck> sections couldn't be run.

> It might just be doable, and sure a lot easier than porting perl.

Thanks for the advice. It seems to require quite a lot of work and I
cannot put a high priority on this feature yet. I keep this mail "under
my elbow" in case I can get some time to try it.

By the way: there is no ssh interface (neither client nor server) on
os400 and the default (telnet based) command line is not shell
compatible... I would probably have to invent something :-((

Patrick