RE: LDAP

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 03:08:11 +0200

Hi Partick,
> I also tried on cygwin: it compiles but always says "server is down". I
> think its because you do not consider "hybrids" in you conditional
> tests.
please try this sample to compile as 'hybrid' - even when I compile it with MingW I get same 'server down'...:

from what I've read the M$ ldaps makes use of Schannel for SSL, and this expects the CA present in the local keystore; also this sample behaves different in W2K and XP.

On the other side we use OpenSSL on Win32 for SSL, and dont use Schannel there either - so why we cant just encourage folks to use a Win32 OpenLDAP port or the Novell SDK if they want to use ldaps rather than rely on the ugly Win32-build-in stuff?
Sure, if someone Win32 API guru comes here and tells us how to do we can all the time extend support for that - I'm always fine with removing dependencies to external libs if it makes sense; but for now having ldaps support with OpenLDAP or Novell SDK is more than no ldaps at all (I mean of course after I've fixed it for OpenLDAP which I think shouldnt be a prob, I need only some time again to dig into it and test).

Guen.