RE: curl and Websense

From: Vlad Hociota <vlad.hociota_at_geminisols.ro>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:23:45 +0300

Hello Daniel.

Well, I was trying to target my inquiry at people who had hands-on
experience with Websense and cURL ... because it's pretty complicated stuff
and "generic" recipes may not help.

Here is what I know about it so far:

1) Program wants to make a HTTP request using cURL lib via a Websense
system, which will act as proxy.
2) Program sends request to proxy = machine running Websense
3) If Websense (proxy) doesn't have program's IP address logged in the allow
list, then it actually responds on the port with a 302 REDIRECT to the
Websense (auth server) (meanwhile the proxy is accessing the URL and caching
it).
4) Program opens connection to Websense (auth) (closing the other one and
hence does not receive anything).
5) Websense responds w/ 401
6) Program sends request with credentials
7) Websense responds with a 302 redirect to the full URL
8) Program makes the request via Websense (proxy). This time Websense does
not respond as the client IP is authenticated.
9) Program receives a 200 OK.