Re: libcurl versus JAVA performance

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 23:19:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Kjell Ericson wrote:

>> Could it be the the great people of Sun and IBM have optimized so good
>> HTTP and TLS/SSL stacks in JDK?

[...]

> I assume the HTTP part is quite small to be optimized. But if any part is
> only one cycle faster then it's just a matter of iterate it enough to win
> the competition... :-)

TLS/SSL certainly is not small and traditionally at least (to allow room for
the claims mentioned in this thread) the java implementations have been
significantly slower than the C-written ones.

(I'm pretty sure I got this info and even read some specific numbers in the
"SSL and TLS" book by Eric Rescorla, but I don't have it here right now to
make sure.)