Re: strange curl error with ftp transfers /goin' crazy

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:08:26 +0200

Hi Daniel,
some update on this thread:
on NetWare we can launch NLMs in either OS (kernel, ring0) address space, or protected (ring3).
Ring3 is slightly slower, but has the benefit that a program which crashes usually can be cleanly terminated, and the server removes that faulty address space. F.e. shipping NetWare 6.5 has running two Apache 2.0.x: one runs as administration server in ADMSERV (ring3) address space, and another in OS space; and often users add an Apache 2.2.x in another address space, and that works great so far.
So that made me at some long time ago thinking that it might be a good idea to automatically load cURL commandline always into ring3 (I can control that with a linker flag).
I've now for testing removed this linker flag -- and hey(!) in OS space same binary works, and the ftp issue is gone!
In addition another friend who's also developing for NetWare told me that he ported cURL to our older CLIB architecture (completely different headers, other funcs used from cURL, etc), and a test with this also showed up exactly same issue: protected +1 byte, OS space OK!
I think that this makes absolutely clear that Novell is to blame for that issue; at least mostly.
Still unclear is why cURL versions before 7.16.0 work in both ring3 and ring0; my guess is this:
somewhere between 7.15.6 and 7.16.0 there were some changes to cURL commandline which makes it probably use some other errno or function than before; and this other errno or function was broken in ring3 all the time...
I'm in contact with a Novell developer, and will update here when I got a final solution...

Guen.