Re: Character code conversions

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:39:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

> So I need to extend the conversion feature. I have some alternative
> approaches for this purpose (all of them requiring additional entry points)
> and I request your advice on this subject.
>
> 1) Make the native character set a variable, settable by an API. This is
> simple, but may result in converting from/to a wrong character set if
> converted data has been latched prior to a charset change.
> 2) Provide additional "wrapper" entry points mimicking the current ones,
> but allowing character sets to be specified for character arguments.
> This is much eavier, but more reliable, though probably useless on a
> non-OS400 machine.

I'm really not the man to discuss EBCDIC or even other charset conversions etc
since I'm rather clueless in this area.

I just want this work to not spill over and "damage" platforms that don't need
or want the conversions, and as long as that is fulfilled I think the rest is
pretty much up to you since there don't seem to be that many others with
opinions on these matters.

If I read between the lines, it seems you yourself consider the alternative 2
mentioned above to be the proper choice...