Re: curl and apt-get update

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 10:39:36 -0700

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 09:22:36AM -0700, Alan Ezust wrote:
> On 7/5/07, Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com> wrote:
>> Could it be that apt-get is actually always ignoring your certificates,
>> but is setting CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST in one case but clearing it in
>> another so that the transfer works in that one case regardless?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. But that brings me to
> another question: Since libcurl is being used by apt, how do I change
> the curl runtime options used by apt?

The application has total control over how it uses and configures libcurl.
It can allow a few environment variables (e.g. to control proxies) to be
passed through to the library for it to use, as well as a ~/.netrc file.
But whether the app allows these, and what the exact file names it allows
is up to it. So you'll need to read the apt documentation to figure out
how and if it allows configuring of libcurl.

What I'm suggesting is that the apt code that uses libcurl might not be
setting exactly the same options when it downloads different types of files,
which could affect the behaviour in the way which you observe. If you
wanted to get fancy, you could use ltrace to see what apt is doing, or
just read the source code.

> I see mention of a .curlrc file that is used by the command line tool.
> But is that used by libcurl (i.e. all software built on top of
> libcurl) or just the command line tool?

That used by the curl front-end only.

>>> Dan