Kerberos v5 FTP?

From: Thomas J. Moore <thomoore_at_iupui.edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:26:51 -0400

Sorry if this is the wrong list, but it seems the closest to a curl-devel type list:

Has anyone worked on krb5/gssapi support for FTP? I tried searching the mailing
list archives, but did not see anything useful.

I have access to a kerberized FTP server that requires clear-text data, and have
made a patch which supports that server. I also tested it a bit with the
"standard" MIT krb5 ftpd using "private" and "safe" data, and it seems to work.

I found in the process several bugs which would've affected krb4 support as
well, so I doubt it even works. This leads me to wonder whether or not krb4
support should even be retained. Maybe it should just be renamed to krb5
instead of adding a new option (as I did). Maybe it could fall back to krb4 if
krb5 doesn't work, like the MIT krb5 ftp client does.

Should I send the patch (1055 lines, 38k/11k.gz) to this list? Elsewhere? Is
anyone interested? Note that the changes aren't complete in that they probably
don't conform to curl standards (whatever they may be) and as stated above,
maybe it could be integrated differently.

  - Thomas J. Moore
    UITS/Research Technology/Research Storage
    Indiana University/IUPUI