Re: Installation Question

From: Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:16:16 -0500

> GNU, and I am running into the following error, when I try to execute the
> command that calls Ferret:

> >ferret_v602: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl.so.2: cannot

> Any suggestions how to solve this problem?

Maybe you could try the statically-linked ferret from
http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Downloads/linux_static_downloads.html

Or (probably not the recommended approach) you could try to
"fake" ferret into believing you had the right curl version:

mkdir ~/old-curl
ln -s /usr/lib/libcurl.so.3 ~/old-curl/libcurl.so.2
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/old-curl:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ferret_v602

Still another approach would be to place a "real" copy of libcurl.so.2
in the ~/old-curl instead of just sym-linking to libcurl.so.3
You should be able to find an old libcurl.so.2 floating around on the
web somewhere.

Of course the best approach might be to contact the author,
oar.pmel.contact_ferret_at_noaa.gov and ask for his advice or
perhaps even get the sources and link to the latest libcurl.

 - Jeff