Old perl versions

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:53:21 -0700

The latest changes to runtests.pl to add socks support (see
http://cool.haxx.se/cvs.cgi/curl/tests/runtests.pl.diff?r1=1.240&r2=1.241 )
have broken compatibility with older versions of perl. My FreeBSD nightly
test uses perl 5.0 and these changes (which have nothing to do with socks,
I might add) have broken it. It seems perl 5.0 doesn't like open lines
like this:

open(my $PID, "<", $pidfile);

but is happy with the original style like this:

open(PID, "<$pidfile");

Is there any reason these kinds of changes (which were made throughout
the file) could be reverted?

>>> Dan