Re: [PROF RFC 1/2] profiling of libcurl by curl-loader, steady state

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 23:27:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Robert Iakobashvili wrote:

> hyper-mode.profiling.tar.bz2:
> hyper-0.prof - gprof res of hyper mode, 0 msec delay between requests;
> hyper-0.op - oprofile res of hyper mode, 0 msec delay between requests;
> hyper-1000.prof - gprof res of hyper mode, 1000 msec delay b requests;
> hyper-1000.op - oprofile res of hyper mode, 1000 msec delay b requests;

Thanks for doing this profile work!

I had a first look at these just now and three things struck me:

  1 - gettimeofday() certainly is called a lot and indeed takes a significant
      time. We should address this (somehow).

  2 - dprintf_formatf() seems to take quite a lot of time as well and I find
      it strange. What kind of *printf() operations are made with your tests?
      How come this function is used so much?

  3 - I figure we need more precision on the 5th and 6th columns (how long
      each specific time takes by itself) to better identify functions that
      seem to take too long.