Re: Any plans for the next curl release

From: Shmulik Regev <shmulbox_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:51:02 +0200

> Not really, I'm thinking some time in March. But I'm open to release
> sooner if there's anything in particular that makes you want one.
March is fine.

I wanted to suggest another addition to libcurl - I've recently patched
libcurl to support caching and reusing of SSL_CTX objects. Creation of these
objects, and their configuration (primarily reading the cacerts file) adds
around 200 ms per instantiation on my machine (win XP, dual core, 3 Ghz, 2
GB RAM) which is not something to ignore if it is frequently done (and in my
case it is). The logic is simple - instead of freeing a CTX object we save
it for later reuse in a global list of objects. Currently I've implemented
this using a global object, but this was just a proof of concept and such an
approach doesn't really fit into the libcurl design. I think the Share
object is a more natural container for such a cache. Are you interested in
such an enhancement? If so, do you agree the Share object is the proper
place to add it?

Cheers,
Shmul