7.16.0 No tcp/ip syn action when using a proxy server

From: Stefan Krause <stefan.krause_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:14:40 +0100

Hi all,

I've got the problem with curl 7.16.0 multi interface running under
Windows 2000 that when using a proxy server no tcp/ip syn action to the
proxy nor the host takes places. After some seconds of trying curl comes
back with error CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_HOST. The proxy is a HTTP proxy
which does not need user authentication. I used wireshark / ethereal
tool for tcp/ip traffic analysis. Please have a look to the settings I
used below.

What settings do I have to use when using a proxy server for contacting
the host?
Any suggestions about measures to track the error down more precisely
(e.g. looking at some important points in the library) ?
What conditions cause curl to return a CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_HOST error ?

Thanks for your help,

kind regards

Stefan

The following settings I used in my program:

handle = curl_easy_init()
multihandle = curl_multi_init()

curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, mpFileRxContentData);
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_WRITEHEADER, mpFileRxHeaderData);
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, "UATest");
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, mpRequestHeaderList);
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_VERBOSE, 1);
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_URL, "www.google.com");

// when NOT using the following proxy stuff it works

curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE, CURLPROXY_HTTP );
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_PROXY, "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd" ); //
just an example of the real IP
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_PROXYPORT, "8100");
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_PROXYUSERPWD, ":");
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_PROXYAUTH, CURLAUTH_BASIC );

// a simpler second alternative of settings I tried without success, the
same error as described above occured

curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_PROXY, "aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd" ); //
just an example of the real IP
curl_easy_setopt(handle, CURLOPT_PROXYPORT, "8100");

curl_multi_add_handle(multihandle, handle);