Re: Status of Windows CE support

From: Mateusz Loskot <mateusz_at_loskot.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:42:46 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some details about current status of libcurl on
>> Windows CE platform. I've only read some posts in the list archives
>> from 2004 and 2005.
>>
>> Where could I find some info about current status? Is there anyone
>> developing/using libcurl on Windows CE?
>
> For some reason, people who have worked on libcurl for Windows CE never
> seem to provide any patches back to the project. That might of course
> mean that libcurl already builds sufficiently well for Windows CE. Did
> you try?

Yesterday, I did.
It seems the status is "not compilable" :-)

I know almost all issues and places where to fix what, so I'm going to
change its status to "compilable" and hopefully "usable".

Here is a summary of what changes I need to apply:
- wrap incompatible headers with $ifdef
- add missing headers ie. process.h
- add functions

The last 2 steps are almost done through my WCELIBCEX library I
recalled in my previous e-mail.
It seems almost all missing functions are available in WCELIBCEX.

Regarding the WCELIBCEX library, there are two options:
- copy stuff from it and include to libcurl sources tree
- use WCELIBCEX (it's only compilable to static library) as external
dependency for libcurl port for WinCE platform.

Most often and by personal preferences, I use the latter option.
Recently, I ported pretty lot OSS libraries to Windows CE and using
single sources of WCELIBCEX makes it easier to maintain and keep things
synched.
Also, simple chapter in README file about where to download WCELIBCEX
from and how to add it to Visual C++ solution, should be sufficient.

Comments and suggestions are welcome...

> We mostly get irregular requests from people (like you) wanting it for
> Windows CE, but I have no "greater picture" of what the status is.

OK, I'll take care of it because I'll need libcurl working through
next >6 months. If you want, I can do some maintainance of this port.

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net