Re: libCurl very slow in linux

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:08:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Justin Graves wrote:

> In Windows, the app flies. It runs very fast and very solid. In Linux,
> however, curl_easy_perform seems to take far longer, and the more threads I
> make it seems to get even worse. If I use roughly 15 or more concurrent
> threads, curl starts failing transfers a lot for no apparant reason.

I've never heard of that before. "no apparant reason" you say, so what exactly
does happen?

And in general it sounds like an over-use of threads that in many ways will
prevent libcurl from performing at maximum speed, but then of course you do it
the same way on both operating systems.

> This is identical to the operation in Windows, but for some reason it runs
> much quicker there.

The effective code in libcurl differ very little between Windows and Linux so
I would guess that there are external explanations to the differences, i.e
your network, kernel, machine conditions or similar.

> The delay seems to be in curl_easy_perform. It doesn't use CPU (the app will
> sit at 0-3% cpu while running).

So what happens on the network? It sounds like libcurl is waiting for
action...