Re: Curl library crashes with Norton Security Suite installed

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 09:26:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Marcus Carey wrote:

> I am developing a client application that uses the curl library. This
> application crashes when I have the Norton Security Suite installed.
> Sometimes I get the message "cannot resolve hostname."

Is that would you call a crash?

Can you be a lot more specific when you say "crash" please. What exactly
happens and what do the libcurl function(s) return?

> But I cannot kill the process in the Windows TaskManager or using TaskKill.

I have no idea what libcurl could possibly do to achieve immortal status.

Isn't there some tool available that can tell why it can't be killed or
somehow explain what it is doing right now?

> So I am wondering if there are any compatibility issues with the curl
> library and internet security software that block outgoing internet
> connections.

Not that we are aware of, no. Blocked outgoing traffic should just cause name
resolves or possibly connects to fail, and thus the entire libcurl operation
to fail. With appropriate error code.

I'd help us if you could dig a little deeper and give us more details, then
perhaps we can sort this out together!