Re: FTP proxy?

From: Armel Asselin <asselin.armel_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:47:03 +0200

>> I'm sure that many of libcurl users have gone through this, now the
>> question: is there any RFC / standard which tell how non-transparent FTP
>> proxies should be used (is the above trick just Trilent stuff or
>> widespread)?
>
> No, not to my knowledge at least.
>
>> the idea behind that is that if it was really widepsread/standard maybe
>> it would be cool to have the tricks inside libcurl, rather than outside?
>> and by the way if there is no standard, it is maybe not useful at all to
>> do.
>
> And this is mentioned in the TODO just because of that! ;-)
oops ;-)

> A long time ago Philip Newton posted the list that apparently is from
> ncftp and their list of FTP proxy support. This list is available here:
> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2003-04/0126.html
ok this is interesting, I remember that I saw such a list long ago in WSFtp
also.

the least to say is that there is no ubiquitous way, in particular, some of
these methods could allow FTPS but many won't (because of mixes of things to
send to the real server, and things for the proxy).

I wonder if the standard method now is not simply to use HTTP proxy
tunneling and consider this FTP proxying as obsolete.
Armel