Re: Curl and CMake

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:10:58 -0700

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:31:30AM -0400, Andy Cedilnik wrote:
> I can do most of this right now, but I would like to make my life easier
> and try to get Curl developers to put the CMake lists file for building
> Curl and libCurl into Curl source code. This way I can actually make
> sure that the Curl is all the time compatible with CMake and I don't
> have to do once a year merging of the latest Curl. In addition to
> simplifying my life, it would perhaps make porting Curl to different
> platforms easier and we could even setup a Dart testing dashboard for Curl.

The problem with this is that curl contains 5000 lines of m4 macros,
Bourne shell code and automake templates that have been refined over the
past 8 years to build on countless systems. It would take a tremendous
effort to port that to CMake to start with, and unless curl switches to
CMake as its configuration system, it would need to be kept up to date
in parallel with autotools. That's lots of work for essentially almost no
benefit to the curl project as it won't help curl work on any more systems
than it does today.

>>> Dan