Re: SSH-related protocols?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:09:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Armel Asselin wrote:

>> It'd be interesting if someone investigated their APIs to see how feasable
>> adding SCP/SFTP-support to libcurl really is.

> was libssh (LGPL) studied? they have a SFTP client. is it already discarded
> for any reason?

None has been discarded since nobody has done any comparisons/evaluations so
far to my knowledge. I just wasn't aware of libssh.

I'm not even sure we need to "rule out" any of them, since if they're all good
we could possibly support all of them (in the end) like we support three
different SSL/TLS libraries today. But of course it would be good to figure
out which contender to do the initial experiments with.

- libssh does seem to have a decent API to their lib. I'm a bit worried about
   their comment about not using non-blocking sockets.

- libssh2 seems to have an API similar to that of libssh, including my concern
   about not non-blocking... Perhaps that concern isn't valid in either case.

- yassh is C++ and I couldn't find any docs (nor online nor in their package).
   I'd say this is the least interesting option atm.