Re: Network Security

From: scott goldman <scottjg_at_umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:42:19 -0400

Hi.

My application uses openssl in conjunction with curl to provide encryption
without actually using an HTTPS server (probably not the best idea, but it
works and overcomes the limitations of the server I need to use). I'm using
RSA public key encryption to encrypt the data on the client side, and then
the server decrypts it using a private key with a php script on the other
side and does some database operations. I pass the data via POST variables,
and I base64 encode the data before sending. I'm not using AES, but this
should be possible to do with the OpenSSL api.

I will warn you that I had a lot of trouble finding good documentation for
OpenSSL, and I ended up buying the O'Reilly book, Network Security with
OpenSSL. I didn't actually read it too much, but there is enough example
code where I was able to just thumb through the relevant sections and
discern the opnenssl api calls I needed to use.

--Scott