Re: non-http pipelining (was Re: Anyone for HTTP Pipelining?)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:16:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Armel Asselin wrote:

>> What are you talking about? FTP is quite different and I don't know of any
>> standard (RFC959) or non-standard commands for FTP that offer anything near
>> pipelining as it works for HTTP 1.1. Please enlighten me!

> no RFC unfortunately, technically it is just that there is no need for
> blocking in FTP and pipe-lining is told to 'just work' with some
> implementations. but i could not find a clear doc on that (apart a page from
> D.J. Bernstein but with no more references).

I assume the few rare people who actually mention FTP and pipelining refer to
that some servers allow you to you fire away multiple RETR commands without
waiting for the previous transfer to complete. It could perhaps be seen as
one-way pipelining.

But since that is likely to be very server-specific it feels hard to support,
and since that's no pipeline for the other direction of the data I would say
that there's very little gain in trying to support this.