Segment fault when running the ftpget.c sample binary with libcurl and ftpget.c built for arm-linux

From: Ed Waldner <edwaldner_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 18:55:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm trying to see how libcurl works on an Applied Data
Systems BitsyXb development kit running a PXA-270
Intel Xscale processor.

I downloaded the latest libcurl 7.15.3-1 src rpm via
curl.haxx.se. I'm running fedora core 5 and I've got
the arm-linux toolchain installed.

I ran ./configure with the following install options:
./configure --enable-ftp --enable-tftp --without-ssl
--prefix=/usr/local/arm/3.3.2/ --host=arm-linux

I then ran 'make' and 'sudo make install'. Got the
shared libcurl.* libraries in the right place inside
the /usr/local/arm/3.3.2 tree.

I then tried to build the ftpget.c binary as follows:

arm-linux-gcc ftpget.c -shared
/usr/local/arm/3.3.2/lib/libcurl.so

I transfered a.out to my target dev kit and ran it. I
got a segmentation fault. I modified the ftpget.c to
include some debug printf statements, but I didn't see
any of them - only the seg fault.

I did a fairly extensive search in faqs and user docs
and online forums but did not find a similar issue
discussed.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong and on what I can do
to overcome the segmentation fault?

Thanks.
-Ed.