Re: How to encode names for FTP ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:41:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Silex wrote:

> Basically, I'm uploading a file and its name may contains spaces or weird
> characters like %.

Then upload to a URL and encode the URL properly - URL encoded is usually the
term.

> As far as I understood, whenever I set CURLOPT_URL, I must replace the %
> contained in it with %25, is that right ?

Yes, all reservered characters must be replaced with %HH where HH is the
hexadecimal representation.

> I must not try to add quotes or whatever if there's a space in the file
> name, and I must only treat the % char.

A space is %20 in a URL.

> It seems that I should *not* use curl_escape for that because otherwise
> things like / etc get encoded as well.

When you create a URL you need to escape each individual part of the URL and
then append them all and create the URL with the proper "part" separators.
Like for directory names you need to escape the names but then join them with
a slash separating them.

> Now, after uploading the file, I use a curl_slist along with
> CURLOPT_POSTQUOTE to do a chmod on the file. Here too, should I replace the
> % the same way for the filename ?

No. The *QUOTE options are plain strings you send to the FTP server unmodified
and untouch by libcurl. You need to send those strings to the server in a
format that the server expects and wants them to be. That is actually a much
less defined area. RFC959 is not at all very clear on how to encode "weird"
characters. At least I didn't find it the last time I checked.