Re: ebcdic and tpf patches

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 14:03:26 -0800

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 08:56:30PM +0000, David McCreedy wrote:
> TPF is a high volume transaction processing mainframe operating system
> (http://www-306.ibm.com/software/htp/tpf/pages/hvtp.htm).
>
> TPF's iconv, when present, has already been optimized, but there are limits.
> Further performance gains are made using machine / assembly language code
> that isn't compatible with iconv.
>
> I think that libcurl is more portable if iconv isn't a requirement, which
> might benefit other operating systems in the future.

I agree; iconv shouldn't be mandatory in the general case. But would it be
a hardship if it were a requirement for TPF or other EBCDIC platforms?
I'm essentially questioning the need to allow the conversion routine
to be specified at run time, especially since (at least in this case)
it's a platform-specific requirement, not an application-specific one.
It also means curl has to bear the cost of supporting two different APIs for
accomplishing the same task.

> But the decision isn't mine.

Nor mine...

>>> Dan