connection status

From: Barry Baker <barbaker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:17:29 -0500

Hello,

I am implementing a layer (command line and API) on top of libcurl that
provides for persistent FTP connections and I have a question regarding
server timeouts. I had written some code to take and easy handle and add it
to a multi handle, then use muli_perform, so that I could get at the
underlying FTP control socket using curl_multi_fdset. I then used a
combination of select() and read() to detect a server timeout of the FTP
connection. This worked fine until we started using the SSL support, at
which point by doing the combination of the select() and read() we left the
socket in a bad state, causing curl to just restart a new connection on a
subsequent command and causing a server timeout to never be detected.

Is there an easier way to do this?

thanks in advance
-barry