Re: Compiling cURL with borland

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:51:31 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Matthew "Zashi" Hiles wrote:

> First off, let me do a little brown-nosing and say that after looking into
> several other libraries curl is by far the best and easiest to work with.

Thanks!

> I run a Linux machine, but have a cross compile environment setup using wine
> and borland as well as a compiling environment under qemu and windows 98.
> I have compiled other programs using this setup and find them to all work
> correctly under wine, emulated windows, as well as a winXP machine.

I personally cross-compile (lib)curl for windows using mingw just fine.

>> bcc32 -c -I.;../include -q -5 -O2 -w-aus -w-ccc -w-csu -w-par
>> -w-pia -w-rch -w-inl -w-ngu -w-pro -tWM -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -D_MBCS
>> -DBUILDING_LIBCURL ftp.c
>> ftp.c:
>> Error E2450 sockaddr.h 30: Undefined structure 'sockaddr_storage'
>> Error E2453 sockaddr.h 31: Size of the type 'Curl_sockaddr_storage' is
>> unknown or zero
>> Warning W8019 ftp.c 3179: Code has no effect in function ftp_perform
>> *** 2 errors in Compile ***
>
> Okay, so as you can see it does compile some things, then it runs into an
> error in sockaddr.h. I tried altering the code in sockaddr.h but no
> combination of commenting and uncommenting solved the problem. Any
> information would be appreciated, even if it is that curl just will not
> compile under borland, I will know to stop barking up that particular tree.

The sockaddr_storage struct is used to store sockaddr struct in IPv6-enabled
libcurl, and the logic in sockaddr.h is meant to provide a replacement for
libcurl in case it doesn't find/know of an existing struct in the
compiler's/system's header.

I don't know exactly why the Borland build fails on this, but in general the
Borland build is somewhat lagging behind since not very many people seem to
use it or contribute fixes back to the project.