callback functions to support robots.txt

From: Andy Curtis <acurtis_at_askjeeves.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:27:01 -0500

It seems that it would be nice have a callback function which is called
prior to connecting to a server with the URL that is about to be
fetched. This should exist for the URL requested as well as any
redirects. If such a callback existed which passed the URL to the
callback, one could make another request to the same server or some
other server for the robots.txt file.

For example,

on_url_request( const char * URL, ... ) {
  // check for robots.txt,
   // if not found change the URL to the robots.txt file and/or make a
request from some cache service.
   // have some way of knowing to fetch original URL after the success
or failure of the given robots.txt.
};

on_url_response( ... ) {
  // if response is robots.txt, do one thing,
  // if response is other, do another
}

I guess my question is why isn't there more callback hooks which can be
tied to the curl_easy handle?

- Andy Curtis