Re: Gopher support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 07:59:34 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, David Shaw wrote:

>> I'd accept patches that correct this situation...
>
> Is it a viable patch to drop gopher support? It's fixable, I'm sure, but is
> it worth it?

It mostly just a matter of what to work on. Since I don't use gopher myself
and haven't worked on it at all - I've simply left it as it is. This is the
way I tend to do with things in curl that no one works on, to at least have
something lying around when the time comes for someone to step forward and
turn that particular piece of code into something working. It doesn't work,
but yet provides a starting point to get it to work.

However, in the case of Gopher I think I agree that the only sane thing here
would be to cut out the few remainders of support and officially stop claiming
that libcurl supports gopher. The fact that no one has reported a problem with
this (until your mail) for several years is an indication that veeeeery few
users actually use gopher with libcurl.

So, you up to provide a gopher-removing patch?