Re: numerical IPv6 address compliance

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 22:02:02 -0800

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 08:37:26PM -0600, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> Well, I know virtually nothing about IPv6, but that "%eth2" looks like it's
> part of the target host address, seeing as it comes before the ":8080" port
> number. Could it be as simple as "send this out via the eth2 interface"?? If
> so,I suppose when converting the string to a binary IPv6 address, you need to
> somehow attach routing to make sure it goes through eth2.
>
> Would the % need to be escaped at all?? I wouldn't expect it to reach the
> target if it's specifying routing.

I ran across this Internet-Draft that discusses the issue:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fenner-literal-zone-02.txt
The part after the % is a Zone ID, which is needed to provide a context for
the rest of the site-local address, since it might not otherwise be
globally unique. The form of address is actually deprecated now.

The draft mentioned above specifies the use of a plus sign instead of a
percent when specifying zone IDs in URLs to get around the problem
of escaping percent signs.

>>> Dan