versioned symbols (was Re: new curl/debian thread is missing here)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:28:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Domenico Andreoli wrote:

> before reinventing the wheel i looked for something that already does some
> kind of check with the linker. what i discoverd is that many cheat about the
> checks performed.

Hehe. That's what you often learn when you start googling to find what others
did. ;-)

> how can i build a test case for ld about versioned symbols?!? this is the
> first show stopper i encountered. i remember a second one but don't remember
> which one.

You need to actually run a linker command line to check if --version-script
works. It is probably as simple as:

  $(LD) --version-script examplefile testsource.c

If that returns 0, we can assume it understands the option and it works.
Apparently Sun's ld is supposed to have a versioned symbols option but I
checked my solaris man page without be able to figure out what option that
could possibly be...

Then, when you use this option in the makefile, you cannot just assume that
you can pass command line options to the linker via the compiler by blindly
using the gcc way of doing it. You need to at least check if gcc is actually
used first.