Re: extract max keepalive requests configuration using a discovery loop

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:14:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Roberto Nibali wrote:

>>> Why is there no libcurl_easy_getopt()? Just curious.
>>
>> Why would there be one?
>
> From a OOA design point of view. I might be wrong in how people peruse
> libcurl but if you write your application using functions or methods you
> most certainly pass the CURL handle as a parameter to the function.

I don't know either, but I try to keep an open mind and not make any
conclusions. We define how the API works, the app authors decide how to use
the API.

> Now it would be nice to have a way to extract the various settings
> associated with the internal "SessionHandle *data" struct without the need
> to pass them as well upon a function call.

Perhaps it would be nice to some. But like everything in this world, this is
double edged. There is also the other end: the code gets bigger (both source
and binary), it gets more to document, it gets more to test and it adds more
things that have to be done for every new future option we add.

All this for a feature that "would be nice" and that obviously thousands of
users so far have not considered a big issue.

In the end, this makes such a feature not so nice to me.

> I hope you understand what I mean.

I think I do. I just don't think adding such a function is worth the burdon it
comes with.