Re: Access is denied.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:07:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, lostsandman wrote:

> i need to get files from the following folder
> ftp2.xx.org/Uploads/Private/XXFinancial but i don't have access the folders
> Uploads or Private so i need to go stright into
> ftp2.xx.org/Uploads/Private/XXFinancial

> But when ever i do that i am getting Access is denied. as error message.
> The password and user name is right since i can get SmartFTP etc to work.

Can you see how SmartFTP sends its commands? I would assume that it makes a
single CWD with the whole path given in a single command.

libcurl sends multiple CWD commands with each dirlevel given separately.

It seems your server don't like this latter approach but works with the first.

libcurl works this way because

  A) The RFC says this is how to do it
  B) There are servers that require this approach

For a long time I've been wanting libcurl to test the single-CWD approach
first and only if that fails go the multi-CWD route to support exactly the
case you might be seeing and still be compliant with issue B above.