Re: Peculiar behaviour of bindings

From: Alex Gian <alexgian_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:58:24 +0100

Eric Cooper wrote:

>I don't the Oz system, but I use libcurl bindings from OCaml, so I can
>at least sympathize (:-). I suggest using strace to see what's
>happening differently between your standalone vesion and your Oz
>version.
>
>Limiting the trace with "strace -e trace=network" or "strace -e
>trace=file" might be useful, too.

Thanks, Eric, great idea.
Here are the two traces I made, one from a standalone executable uzing
libcurl, and one from the Oz emulator that called the module.
I hope someone can see a clue in there...

As I already said, the standalone executable works fine, no problems at
all, but the Oz module _ONLY_ connects to URLs inside my home network!
The URLs are actually resoved fine in both cases, it's just that
non-local addresses won't connect (return code 7 from curl_easy_perform() )

http://aegean.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/strace_oz.html
http://aegean.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/strace_exe.html

The actual code can be seen here, but is nothing special, just following
the "C interfacing for Oz" docs pretty much to the letter.
http://aegean.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/store/ozlibcurl_c.html

Hope this helps someone give me a clue, at least.

Cheers

Alex