Re: cross-compiling curl for PPC -- successful but weird

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:06:30 -0700

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:07:09PM +0800, Tim Sneddon wrote:
> >but it will be the executable that bails instead of configure in that case.
> >Better to force the user to "deal with it" at configure time by bailing
> >then.
>
> How can the user "deal with it" at configure time if they are
> cross-compiling? In some cases, like library dependencies I can
> understand it (how else is it going to compile?). However, if you
> are referencing a device specific to the target system, then there
> is no way of checking it. It will most probably not (as in this case)
> exist on the build system.

The user deals with it at configure time by giving the --with-random=
option. The danger of letting the build proceed without this option
is that you'll end up with a broken executable. An executable that doesn't
work is much worse than an executable that was never made because it's not
necessarily obvious that the executable is broken. You won't find out until
you try running it using a set of options that depends on the random file.

>>> Dan